Skip to content
- No Skype for Business Online for Small Office 365 Tenants September 24, 2018 12:14 pm - The news has emerged that Microsoft won't provision new Office 365 tenants with Skype for Business Online unless they have more than 500 users. Any smaller and the tenant gets no choice but Teams.
- Who Deleted That Message? September 23, 2018 6:59 pm - Exchange Online sends its mailbox audit records to the Office 365 audit log. You can search the log to discover who deleted messages from mailboxes, normally only an issue when delegates are involved.
- Upgrade from Teams Free to Full Office 365 September 22, 2018 9:10 am - Microsoft has documented how organizations using the free version of Teams can upgrade to the full enterprise version (and Office 365). It all seems pretty easy, which is good. Paying those Office 365 licenses mightn't be as nice.
- Microsoft Releases Teams Administrative Roles September 21, 2018 9:11 am - Microsoft has released four new administrative roles to help Office 365 tenants manage Teams. It's a good thing and we were able to include the news in the September 20 update for Office 365 for IT Pros.
- September 20 Update Available for Office 365 for IT Pros September 20, 2018 12:11 am - Subscribers to the Office 365 for IT Pros eBook can now download the September 20 update from Gumroad.com or Amazon, depending on in which format they bought the book.
- Using Special Characters in Office 365 Labels September 19, 2018 10:31 am - A little known fact is that you can use graphic symbols and characters in Office 365 labels. It might bring a splash of color to your compliance and retention efforts, especially in a world where emojis are everywhere. After all, the symbols are just character codes that computers can process and Office 365 is designed to be multilingual and cope with different character sets (like the way Teams deals with Hebrew and Arabic).
- Understanding the Life of an Office 365 Admin September 18, 2018 10:56 pm - Help Quadrotech understand the life of an Office 365 Admin and receive a $100 Amazon gift card.
- Looking Forward to Ignite 2018 September 18, 2018 3:09 pm - The Microsoft Ignite 2018 conference takes place in Orlando next week. The Office 365 for IT Pros team will be there to keep an eye on the announcements Microsoft and other vendors make about new technology. We'll have a blast, and then come back to update the book.
- Using Search-Mailbox to Remove Mailbox Items September 17, 2018 2:09 pm - Search-Mailbox is a very useful cmdlet but running the cmdlet can be very dangerous as you might end up permanently removing some data that you'd prefer to keep. And in the cloud, there's no backups...
- Synchronizing AAD Security Groups with Office 365 Groups September 16, 2018 12:30 pm - Security groups are often used to protect access to resources, but they can't be used to control membership for Office 365 Groups or Teams. If you want to use AAD security groups to control membership for Groups and Teams, you need to come up with a way to synchronize. PowerShell is available to do the job, and as it turns out, it's not too difficult.
- Office 365 Groups and the ProvisioningOption property September 15, 2018 3:33 pm - Some will tell you that you can figure out what resources an Office 365 Group is connected to by checking the ProvisioningOption property with the Get-UnifiedGroup cmdlet. Well, you can't. If you want to do something like check for team-enabled groups, you'll need a different approach.
- Microsoft Rolls Out Block for Calendar Forwarding September 14, 2018 4:00 pm - A new Exchange feature rolling out inside Office 365 allows meeting organizers to block people forwarding their meetings to all and sundry. The latest versions of OWA and Outlook 2016 click to run support the UI for the feature and blocks are built into Exchange Online and Exchange on-premises servers to stop blocked meetings sneaking through.
- Preserving the Teams Data of Ex-Employees September 13, 2018 3:02 pm - Content Searches Find Teams Compliance Items When someone leaves your company, you might need to preserve their Office 365 data. The steps needed to preserve user information stored in Email, OneDrive, and SharePoint are straightforward, but what about the messages the employee sent using Teams? As it turns out, an Office 365 content search or …
Read More "Preserving the Teams Data of Ex-Employees"
- Office 365 Audit Records Truncated for Azure Active Directory Events September 12, 2018 10:32 am - A demo to show how easy it is to use PowerShell to manage Office 365 Groups and Teams was progressing nicely at the UK Evolve conference when a problem happened with code that used to run perfectly. Sounds like a normal programming situation, but in this case, Microsoft had changed the format of Office 365 audit records for Azure Active Directory operations. That's not so good. What's worse is that some essential data is now missing from the audit records.
- Publishing SharePoint News to Teams September 11, 2018 2:31 pm - A Petri.com article explains how to publish news items generated in SharePoint Online sites to Teams channels. It's the way to spread those important announcements as widely as possible.
- What that BOXServiceAccount Does in Office 365 September 10, 2018 1:04 pm - Records featuring an account called BOXServiceAccount appear in the Office 365 audit log. Not much information is available about the account, but it's all OK because it's used to assign administrative roles to Office 365 accounts.
- Accelerating Exchange 2019 at Ignite 2018 September 9, 2018 4:25 pm - Have you ever tried to use SSDs with Exchange Server only to be told that it's a really bad idea and that you should concentrate on JBOD. Well, Microsoft has made some changes in Exchange 2019 and will talk about them at Ignite, and you can learn about it on Wednesday, Sept 26 in-person, online, or afterwards.
- Teams Now Available in Hebrew and Arabic September 8, 2018 8:11 am - Teams is now available in Hebrew and Arabic and has a new right to left display mode to boot. Now supporting 37 languages and inline translation, Teams is a multilingual application.
- Enabling Access to Teams for Guest Users with PowerShell September 7, 2018 11:07 am - During transitions, things sometimes don't go so smoothly. Such is the case if you want to enable or disable guest user access to Teams and find that the setting to control the access is no longer available in the Office 365 Admin Center. But PowerShell can control the setting, so that's the solution to the problem.
- Eradicating Some Bad Email Habits Improves Your Office 365 Security September 6, 2018 2:25 pm - Hanging on to old email habits is a bad idea, especially if you use a cloud service like Office 365 where Microsoft introduces a steady stream of new features. The worst bad habit is password sharing. It's time to stop this now.
- Modernizing SharePoint Subsites September 5, 2018 1:55 pm - A very common question when discussing modern SharePoint is why Microsoft has not modernized the creation of subsites to give Office 365 tenants the ability not only to create a modern site, but also to create modern subsites. Fortunately, Microsoft has finally released a modern subsite template to allow any organization still using subsites to …
Read More "Modernizing SharePoint Subsites"
- When Things Go Wrong in the Cloud It’s Hard to Look Where for Help September 5, 2018 9:37 am - An outage in a U.S. datacenter on September 4 caused problems for Azure Active Directory with a ripple effect on Office 365. It's a good example of how cloud services depend on each other, so when one fails, another has problems.
- European Collaboration Summit 2019 Tickets Go on Sale September 4, 2018 1:02 pm - Tickets for the European Collaboration Summit 2019 are now on sale at EUR160. That's a great price for a 3-day conference. The 2018 event was good, but the agenda needs to be rebalanced to reflect more of Office 365.
- Verifying Office 365 Administrator Access to User Data September 4, 2018 9:34 am - Office 365 tenant administrators can use different ways to access user data. Shouldn't you have a policy to govern that access?
- Using Dynamic Office 365 Groups with Teams September 3, 2018 8:17 pm - Some say that Microsoft Teams doesn't support dynamic Office 365 Groups. Well, I couldn't find anything formal on the topic and the teams that I have configured to use dynamic groups work well, so what's the real scene? As it turns out, Microsoft is still working on the feature.
- New German Office 365 Datacenter Region to Replace Black Forest September 2, 2018 10:05 pm - New German Office 365 datacenters are on their way and will replace the dedicated Black Forest region that's been used by German tenants since 2015. The move is good for tenants because they'll be able to access more functionality.
- Keeping Up With Office 365 IP Ranges September 1, 2018 7:58 am - If you're responsible for running the local network used by an Office 365 tenant to connect to Microsoft's network, you need to know about the IP addresses and ranges used for Office 365 endpoints.
- Office 2016, Office 365, and October 2020 August 31, 2018 12:40 pm - Microsoft has published some statements about not allowing older Office clients to connect to Office 365 from October 2020. Well, the word "allow" should really be read as "support." Or so we hear.
- AllAbout365 Podcast August 31, 2018 9:24 am - Looking for a good podcast about Office 365? You could try the AllAbout365 podcast and we don't think you'll be too disappointed.
- Office 365 Groups management capabilities coming to the SharePoint Online admin center August 31, 2018 7:35 am - An update coming soon to the SharePoint Online Admin Center means that administrators will be able to manage Office 365 Groups. Given the importance of Office 365 Groups to SharePoint, it's a good change.
- Making sure that Office 365 Retention Policies process Teams August 30, 2018 2:37 pm - Microsoft Teams support Office 365 retention policies, but how do you know if policies you create are effective in removing items from Teams? Well, as it turns out, you must go poking under the covers to validate that removals happen as planned.
- How Did Slack Justify That $7B Valuation? August 30, 2018 11:05 am - Apparently, Slack is now worth $7.1 billion. That's a lot of money for a company that faces huge competition from Microsoft Teams, especially with the ever-increasing size of the Office 365 installed base.
- Microsoft to Support Google IDs for Azure B2B Collaboration August 29, 2018 3:33 pm - Microsoft has launched the preview of Google B2B Federation, which allows Google accounts to be used to access Azure AD apps. Quite how this will work out for apps that use guest user accounts is unknown at this point.
- Mass Delete Notifications for SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business August 29, 2018 3:12 pm - Microsoft says that they will soon send email to users when Office 365 detects a higher than normal number of file deletions in SharePoint Online sites and OneDrive for Business accounts. There's no real detail provided as to what counts as a high volume or why Microsoft is sending the notifications.
- Free eBook Covering Teams Deployment August 28, 2018 8:38 pm - Everyone likes free stuff. Here's a link to a free eBook published by Quadrotech relating their experience of introducing and using Teams.
- “Unable to discover PowerShell endpoint URI” when using MFA with Skype Online August 28, 2018 7:35 pm - Grrr. It’s been that kind of day. While chasing a Teams bug (about which more another time, once I have a consistent repro case), I needed to log on to Skype Online PowerShell. We use the Azure baseline policy that forces MFA for all admin accounts in our tenant; I just updated Chapter 3 of …
Read More "“Unable to discover PowerShell endpoint URI” when using MFA with Skype Online"
- Reassembling IM Conversations with Skype for Business Online and Teams August 28, 2018 2:33 pm - A new Petri.com article explains how to reassemble IM conversations using the compliance records captured by Skype for Business Online and Teams.
- Update 5 Released for Office 365 for IT Pros (2019 edition) August 28, 2018 10:46 am - The August 28, 2018 update for the Office 365 for IT Pros eBook is now available in PDF, EPUB, and Kindle formats. This is a large update for the book as we changed 13 out of 24 chapters.
- Adding a New Office 365 Group to an Existing (Classic) SharePoint Online Site August 28, 2018 7:51 am - As announced in this post in the Microsoft Tech Community, the ability to add a new Office 365 Group to an existing SharePoint Online (SPO) site is finally available to Office 365. You will be able to connect existing classic SPO sites to new Office 365 Groups by means of two possible mechanisms: PowerShell (first …
Read More "Adding a New Office 365 Group to an Existing (Classic) SharePoint Online Site"
- Creating an All-Employees Team (in Microsoft Teams) August 27, 2018 11:01 am - Do you want to create an all-employees team spanning everyone in the company? Here's a PowerShell script that will create and populate the team for you.
- Teams Data Now Stored in Japan and Australia Office 365 DataCenters August 26, 2018 6:43 pm - In a surprise Sunday announcement, Microsoft said that from August 27 they will deliver Teams services from Office 365 datacenters in Australia and Japan.
- Microsoft Completes Work to Bring Skype for Business Functionality into Teams August 25, 2018 4:48 pm - On August 24, Microsoft announced that their roadmap to bring the functionality and features from Skype for Business Online to Teams was complete. It's always good news when you see a plan coming together, but it's also important to understand that a world of difference exists between an announcement and being able to move an organization's communications workload.
- New IRM Option to Control Decryption of Attachments of Encrypted Messages August 24, 2018 12:27 pm - Microsoft has released a new setting in the tenant Information Rights Management (IRM) configuration to control if attachments of messages encrypted with the Encrypt Only feature (in OWA and Outlook) are decrypted when downloaded. In fact, two settings are available. One for people with Azure AD accounts, and one for those without.
- The Difficulties of Defining a Sensitive Data Type August 23, 2018 3:23 pm - Microsoft thoughtfully provided Office 365 tenants with a Data Loss Prevention template for GDPR personal data. The only problem is that the rules in the template were too sensitive and started to block email.
- When Teams is Better Than Email August 22, 2018 3:19 pm - Teams won't take over from email anytime soon, but it is much better at organizing face-paced conversations.
- How to Remove a Feature from an Office 365 Plan with PowerShell August 21, 2018 5:14 pm - Need a script to turn off sub-options in Office 365 plans like the one that controls Microsoft Teams? Here's a Petri.com article that explains how to do it with the Microsoft Online Services PowerShell module.
- Visio Stencil for Teams and Skype for Business August 20, 2018 9:19 am - Need some Visio shapes to build presentations or plans featuring Teams or Skype for Business Online? Here's how to get a copy of the stencil.
- Fix for Active Directory Federation Services Security Hole Available August 19, 2018 9:21 pm - Microsoft has issued patch CVE-2018-8340 to fix a problem with Active Directory Federation Services. You should download and install this patch now.
- A new Roadmap version is coming and it will become Microsoft 365 Roadmap August 18, 2018 11:12 am - A new Microsoft 365 Roadmap will soon replace the current Office 365 Roadmap. The new roadmap will include Enterprise Mobility and Security, Windows 10, and Azure security.
- New Search Experiences Arriving (finally) to SharePoint Online August 17, 2018 5:04 pm - Search in SharePoint Online (SPO) is an area that we will see change in the future. Indeed, you might have already seen some of the new search experiences in your modern SPO sites
- MyAnalytics to Add Skype for Business Signals August 17, 2018 10:24 am - The Office 365 MyAnalytics application is to add Skype for Business signals (and then Teams) to the set of data it processes to derive insights about the time users spend on different activities.
- Avanan’s PhishPoint – FUD or a Real Problem? August 16, 2018 9:09 pm - The security company Avanan says that 10% of Office 365 users are affected by "PhishPoint." That estimate seems pretty high to me.
- Stopping Guest Users Getting Into Classified Office 365 Groups and Teams August 16, 2018 2:23 pm - This Petri.com article tells you how to set a policy on confidential Office 365 Groups to stop owners being able to add guest users to the group (or team).
- One Hundred Version Minimum for SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business August 16, 2018 12:57 pm - SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business sites will soon boast 100 minimum versions, which they need to power features like AutoSave and OneDrive Restore. But if you work for an organization that doesn't want to use so many versions for files, you can update your SharePoint tenant configuration to disable minimum versioning. That is, provided you do so by September 30, 2018.
- Network Principles for Office 365 Connectivity August 15, 2018 8:27 am - People sometimes complain about Office 365 network performance. The root cause is unlikely to be in Microsoft's network. It is much more likely to be in the "last mile" to the user device.
- Removing Email Addresses from Office 365 Groups August 14, 2018 11:06 am - Like all mail-enabled objects, Office 365 Groups can have multiple proxy addresses. Microsoft has fixed a bug in the Set-UnifiedGroup cmdlet so that you can remove proxy addresses from groups, but take care before you do.
- Office 365 for IT Pros at the UK Evolve Event – Birmingham, September 10, 2018 August 13, 2018 5:52 pm - The Office 365 for IT Pros team will be at the UK Evolve conference on September 10. Come along and hear us talk!
- Why Search-Mailbox Can’t Remove All Office 365 Content August 12, 2018 10:09 pm - The Search-Mailbox cmdlet is very powerful when it comes to removing items from Exchange Online mailboxes, but it can't deal with other Office 365 content.
- Losing the Last Name, First Name Legacy August 11, 2018 2:11 pm - A recent post by MVP Mark Vale describes how to use synchronization transformation rules in AADConnect to change the last name, first name format (for example, Smith, James) for display names to a more user-friendly first name last name format (our example becomes James Smith) for accounts as they synchronize to Azure Active Directory from an …
Read More "Losing the Last Name, First Name Legacy"
- Teams Services Now Hosted in Canada August 10, 2018 10:41 pm - On August 10, 2018, Microsoft announced that the Azure-based Teams data services are now hosted in Canadian datacenters in Toronto and Quebec City. Teams services, which are what handle personal and channel messages and media (graphics), now run in the following Azure datacenters: Asia-Pacific: Singapore and Hong Kong. EMEA: Dublin and Amsterdam. Americas: Bay (California) …
Read More "Teams Services Now Hosted in Canada"
- New-UnifiedGroup and Multiple Owners August 10, 2018 10:26 pm - There's a documentation bug for New-UnifiedGroup. You're told that you can specify multiple owners when you create a group, but you can't.
- The Story Behind Office 365 for IT Pros August 10, 2018 9:58 pm - An Idea Grows The story began in August 2014, when Tony Redmond started to write about Office 365 while on vacation in the South of France. Microsoft Press had published my Exchange 2013 book in September 2013, and I wanted a new book project. However, the problem with Office 365 was that everything changed all …
Read More "The Story Behind Office 365 for IT Pros"
- Debugging Teams Clients When Something Goes Wrong August 9, 2018 2:35 pm - Making Teams Client Behave Most of the time, the Teams clients run along without a problem. But like all software, they have their moments. Here’s how to attack the problem if your Teams clients start to misbehave, including how to give the Microsoft developers some feedback. This article was posted on Petri.com on August 9, …
Read More "Debugging Teams Clients When Something Goes Wrong"
- The Ups and Downs of the Deleting Microsoft 365 Users Wizard August 8, 2018 2:11 pm - Microsoft issued a new wizard to delete Office 365 accounts last week. It has the normal quota of cute graphics and some glitches to boot, but the wizard gets the job done in terms of converting a user mailbox into a shared mailbox and reassigning access to their OneDrive for Business account.
- Meet the Office 365 for IT Pros Team at Ignite 2018 August 8, 2018 11:14 am - if you're planning to attend the Microsoft Ignite conference in Orlando in September 2018, make sure to meet up with the Office 365 for IT Pros team at the event.
- The Publication Process for Office 365 for IT Pros August 8, 2018 10:52 am - How do we put Office 365 for IT Pros together? The answer is simple... we work as a team!
- Why We Publish a New Edition of Office 365 for IT Pros Every Year August 8, 2018 7:46 am - One of the most common questions we get is why we generate a new edition every year. The answer is pretty simple. It’s reflects the pace of the cloud and the need for books to change to cover what’s happening inside Office 365. The Old Days of On-Premises Software In the “old days” of on-premises …
Read More "Why We Publish a New Edition of Office 365 for IT Pros Every Year"